Posted: August 31, 2018
Indoor Home Projects to Try Before the Holidays
Fall brings jacket weather, back-to-school shopping sprees and hot lattes (also known as ‘parent fuel’). It’s a welcome change from the hectic spontaneity of summer, but don’t blink; the holidays are only a couple months away. Whether you’re enjoying autumn’s peace and quiet or you’re already preparing for Thanksgiving, don’t miss your chance to warm up your space with these simple indoor home projects.
- Set up a kid-friendly homework station. It’s easy to lose track of assignments once the semester’s in full swing. Rather than letting worksheets eat up your kitchen table, create a dedicated homework space. Find a set of file folder organizers and spray-paint them with chalkboard paint. Use colorful chalk markers to write your kids’ names on the boxes. Decorate containers with festive fall leaves, then erase and change your doodles to snowflakes or pine trees when December rolls around.
- Create a magnetic spice rack. Cooler days call for crock-pot favorites, pumpkin pie and other meals we don’t typically cook during summertime. That means the spices you use on a regular basis might change, too. Instead of rummaging through summer BBQ rubs in search of cinnamon and ginger, buy a set of short spice jars and fill them with your favorite fall flavors. Attach magnets to the bottom of the bottles and stick them to your fridge. You’ll have all your fall seasonings in one easy-to-access place, and you’ll know at quick glance when you need to buy more.
- Upgrade your electricity. During summer, lights and appliances see less use, but as Jersey days get cooler and shorter, you’ll find yourself powering up the coffee maker, microwave, stove and table lamps. Not all homes are equipped to handle this increased power demand. If you notice lights flickering or dimming when you use an appliance, give the experts at Maglio Electric a call. We can answer questions about upgrading your home’s electricity to accommodate more power-hungry devices.
- Make bird feeders. New Jersey is a bird migration hotspot in the fall. Warblers and sparrows begin their trek in mid-August, and some are still migrating through September. Make a bird feeder to attract weary travelers: Smear a pinecone with peanut butter (or something sticky) and roll it in birdseed. Hang it just outside your window—and watch the birds flock.
- Plant a tree. Fall is an ideal time to add a tree to your yard, since the root systems do best when transplanted during cooler temperatures. If you have a child starting his or her first year of school, the tree can also serve as a creative milestone that grows with them every year.
- Check (or install) your generator. Winter power outages aren’t just inconvenient. They can be dangerous, too. From food spoilage to extreme temperatures, losing power in the winter can turn an innocent snow day into a winter nightmare. Maglio customers regularly tell us that their generators saved the day in the middle of a blizzard. Our licensed electrical professionals install and service NJ generators, so call our team when you need a new generator or you’d like yours inspected.
- Save more with LED lights. If you haven’t upgraded your home to LED lighting yet, autumn is the perfect time to make the switch. Shorter days mean more electricity use and higher energy bills. If you switch to LED lighting now, you’ll maximize energy savings through the winter (and save some Christmas cash!).
Maglio Is the Team to Trust, Year-Round
When you need an experienced lighting professional for your next home project, rely on the team at Maglio Electric. We’ve been serving New Jersey homes and businesses for over 30 years, and we’re part of our industry’s most reputable trade organizations. Contact us for a lighting consultation that wows Thanksgiving guests—or begin planning for winter lighting and electrical service upgrades before the holidays set in. Call 908.735.6218 to request an appointment now.
See how we've transformed customers into lifelong clients
"Thank you so very much for your quick response to my problems. It certainly reassured my worries and I will always remember and appreciate it. My best to you and yours." Rosemarie Pacella Whitehouse Station, NJ
"I just got my bill for work you did at my home. It was a fair price for service. I just can’t say enough about your guys. They arrived first thing in the morning, like I was told they would. I’ve been using your company for years. Thank you!" D. Munro Lebanon, NJ